The Shooting Stars have begun their Sri Lankan tour in style by beating the Sri Lankan Development Squad by 9 wickets with plenty of overs to spare.
After two days of training in the humid Colombo conditions the girls were ready to try their skills against an unknown opposition.
There are 14 players that have travelled over here, each with their own unique purpose for the tour. Four players are over here to get used to sub-continent conditions before the T20 World Cup in Bangladesh and the others have been identified for the future and it is all about giving them opportunities to perform at the next level.
With 14 players touring and it being all about opportunities all players will play all the matches.
Alyssa Healy was named Captain for the first match and started well by winning the toss and electing to bowl at the SSC Ground in Colombo.
Sri Lanka Development XI 10-147 defeated by Shooting Stars 1-149 off 23.3 overs
- The Sri Lankan’s came out of the blocks quickly as the Australian openers struggled to find the right length and line. It wasn’t until Rene Farrell struck in her next two overs that Sri Lanka was reduced to 3-52 off 8 overs, and the ascendancy swung the Shootings Stars way. Rene was even on a hat-trick at one stage. She couldn’t convert the hat-trick but went on to return the figures of 5-29 off 7.3 overs.
- Kristen Beams (0-5 off 7 overs) and Sarah Aley (2-27 off 7 overs) then put the squeeze on to really bring the momentum back to the Shooting Stars.
- All the bowlers played their role as the Shooting Stars continually picked up wickets and eventually bowled Sri Lanka out in the 45th over.
- Beth Mooney (40 off 46) and Nicole Bolton (57 off 44) got the Shooting Stars off to the perfect start as they hit the loose ball and rotated the strike. Eventually they were both retired when the score was on 100 in the 15th over.
- It didn’t take the Shooting Stars much longer to pass their score and with the early finish it allowed both teams to continue to play again providing more opportunities.
- In the second part of the match, we saw Grace Harris contact with plenty of balls as she hit four x fours and four x sixes to score an impressive 53 runs off 32 deliveries.
- Rene Farrell 5-29 off 7 overs • Nicole Bolton 57* (44)
- Kara Sutherland 0-24 off 4 overs • Beth Mooney 40* (46)
- Sarah Aley 2-27 off 7 overs • Alyssa Healy 42 (37)
- Kristen Beams 0-5 off 7 overs • Bridget Patterson 45* (47)
- Jemma Barsby 1-18 off 7 overs • Grace Harris 53 (32)
- Angela Reakes 0-20 off 7 overs • Delissa Kimmince 23* (16)
- Molly Strano 1-15 off 5 overs
What is Next:
Today is a rest day and tomorrow the Shooting Stars take on the main Sri Lankan team in two T20s that will be played at the ground where the Southern Stars won the T20 World Cup…happy memories.
Until next time!